Answers at your fingertips
You can scroll through the FAQs, search, or click a category button to filter them.
- How it Works
- Linking Bank Accounts
- Opening an Account
- Prepaid Card
- Qualified Expenses
- Successors and Estates
- Tax Benefits
- Can employment earnings be deposited into my account through payroll direct deposit?
- Yes! Complete the setup process in three simple steps: Log in to your ABLE account and click on “Direct Deposit” on the Total Balance tile Enter your information and retrieve your direct deposit details — including a unique routing and account numbers Provide your account details to your... Read more
- What do I need to do with my IRS Form 5498-QA form?
Keep this form in your records for future reference. You're not required to file it with your tax return.
- What is IRS Form 1099-QA?
- If you make a withdrawal from your account, you will receive the IRS Form 1099-QA, which is a tax form that details all of the withdrawals you made throughout the tax year from your account. This statement reports withdrawals from the ABLE account in the prior calendar year. You only receive a... Read more
- When is IRS form 1099-QA available?
The plan administrator must send the 1099-QA by January 31, so you should receive the form no later than early February following the close of the tax year. You will receive it via mail or electronic delivery based on communications preferences.
- What is IRS Form 5498-QA?
- If you make a contribution to your account, you will receive IRS Form 5498-QA, which is a tax form that details all of the contributions you made throughout the tax year to your account. This form reports ABLE account contributions, rollovers and direct program-to-program transfers in the prior... Read more
- When is IRS form 5498-QA available?
The plan administrator must send the 5498-QA by March 15, so you should receive the form no later than late March following the close of the tax year. You will receive it via mail or electronic delivery based on communications preferences.
- How can I connect a bank account?
- Log in to your account, go to the “Settings” tab and click on the “Add a new bank” button. Follow the steps to link a new bank account by connecting via Plaid or manually adding an account. Keep in mind that you won’t be able to withdraw money to a newly added bank account immediately. There is a... Read more
- Is the ABLE account considered part of the estate after the death of a beneficiary?
- Yes. As part of the estate, funds in the ABLE account are subject to federal estate tax. After the death of the beneficiary, the remaining funds will be taxed and can be used to pay any outstanding qualified disability expenses of the decedent and any State claim under section 529A(f) before they... Read more
- What is a successor designated beneficiary?
A successor for an ABLE account must be a sibling, step-sibling, or half-sibling of the Account Owner and must also qualify for an ABLE account. A successor must be added to the account before the death of the beneficiary.