Answers at your fingertips
You can scroll through the FAQs, search, or click a category button to filter them.
- How it Works
- Opening an Account
- Prepaid Card
- Qualified Expenses
- Tax Benefits
- Can I use ABLE funds to pay for a vacation?
Yes, a vacation does qualify as an eligible expense as long as it can help maintain or improve the health, independence, or quality of life of the person living with a disability.
- Can money in an ABLE account be recovered in a bankruptcy?
No. The Hawai’i ABLE Savings Program is protected from bankruptcy.
- Can I make direct deposits into an ABLE account?
- Yes, monthly transfers are a great way to help an ABLE account grow and reach your yearly goal. Direct deposits, also known as monthly transfers, are automatic contributions that you can set up in just a few steps directly from your account. Look for the “Transfers” button once you’re signed in and... Read more
- Can I enroll and manage an ABLE account with a paper form?
The easiest and fastest way to enroll for and manage an ABLE account is online. If you want to use paper forms for enrollment or managing your account, you can find the forms here.
- Can I connect more than one bank account to an ABLE account?
Yes, we’ve made it even easier to access and handle ABLE funds by allowing you to securely log in and connect multiple bank accounts. This makes it easier to manage and grow your ABLE account and have more control over how to withdraw funds for eligible expense.
- How do I add multiple bank accounts?
- Once you’ve logged in to your ABLE account, find your “Account” section in Your Profile, and click on “Add a new bank account.” Follow the steps to connect a new bank account associated with either the beneficiary of the ABLE account or the Authorized Legal Representative’s name. Keep in mind that... Read more
- What type of bank accounts can I add?
You can connect a checking or savings account to any ABLE account. These types of accounts use ACH payments, which are a fast and efficient way to make electronic payments.
- How do I manage different bank accounts with multiple beneficiaries?
- You have plenty of options when it comes to managing banks and/or beneficiaries. If you’re an Authorized Legal Representative (ALR) of more than one account, you can use the same banking information on multiple ABLE accounts as long as you own or are the ALR on those ABLE accounts. Otherwise, each... Read more
- Can I open and/or manage more than one ABLE account?
- Yes, you can have an ABLE account for yourself and/or open and manage multiple ABLE accounts for beneficiaries as their Authorized Legal Representative (ALR). Remember that each ABLE account can be connected to one or more bank accounts. Remember that each beneficiary can have only one ABLE account... Read more
- How do I add another ABLE account?
- You can do this two ways. Logged out, from the sign-up page: Go to the Hawai’i ABLE Savings Program website to sign up for a new ABLE account. During the first step of registration there will be a link to sign in. Log in and follow the steps to create an ABLE account for either yourself or your... Read more